Cruise Line: Paul Gauguin Cruises
Sailing: 10 Night 'Society Islands and the Tuamotus' – March 2 to 12, 2016
Ports: Papeete, Huahine, Bora Bora, Rangiroa, Fakarava, Taha’a, Moorea, Papeete
Ship: m/s Paul Gauguin
- Toronto to Los Angeles with an overnight at in LAX in each direction is what I recommend for anyone flying from the east coast. We flew AC to Los Angeles with an overnight on the outbound and a day room on the return at the LAX airport. Stayed at the Renaissance Hotel, a good airport hotel with complimentary airport shuttle service and free Wifi.
- Air Tahiti Nui from LAX to Papeete roundtrip (old aircraft - A320). The only way to get to Tahiti from the west coast unless you can afford a private jet, so chalk it up as an experience! Recommend business class to those who need comfort on this Trans-Pacific flight.
- Papeete airport is not air conditioned and the temperature was 35C plus the humidity factor. People at the PPT airport were miserable on the return with a three hour check policy, limited seating, and five international airlines departing within an hour and half of each other.
Pre- and Post-Nights Stay: Inter-Continental Papeete
- Garden view room – Building 6 - overlooks the quiet infinity pool and ocean, was to the left of the property and close to the Lotus restaurant. Room was well appointed and very spacious with a patio on the first level and balcony on the second or third levels. Building 6 and 7 are in the new, quiet section of this large property.
- Over water bungalows at the far end of the property near the Lotus restaurant are in need of refurbishment.
- Great Value - Inter-Continental Papeete "locally" offers a "transit package" including garden view room, one way transfer to airport, internet service, and access to all facilities at the resort for $8,450 XPF ($80USD per person or $104CAD per person approximate). They also included 2 bar/beer vouchers (FYI - additional value of $30USD per couple). Offer valid from 2pm – 9pm however we arrived at 10am and stayed until 8pm and the front desk honoured this package.
- Category C - stateroom with Balcony
- Well appointed, comfortable size at 239 sq. ft. with shower only
- Bathroom was a bit dated
Entertainment & Excursions:
- Water sports can be enjoyed at all ports of call and the tour desk on board offers many snorkelling or scuba diving excursions. The ship's marina offered complimentary snorkelling gear and kayaks. Jet skis were also available for hourly rental.
- Jean Paul Cousteau was aboard as one of the lecturers and escorted scuba and snorkelling adventures.
- The m/s Paul Gauguin is the highest-rated and longest continually sailing luxury cruise ship in the region experiences! The crew on board and the people at each port of call infuse the spirit of Polynesia into each day!
- Paul Gauguin Cruises offers great value when you compare the all-inclusive cruise cost to a land program of the same quality.
My time aboard the Paul Gauguin and sailing through The Society Island and The Tuamotus was an amazing experience and I thoroughly enjoyed my 12 nights in Paradise. This destination deserves all the accolades it receives and you shouldn't hesitate to recommend this destination to anyone who wants to get off the beaten track! I have told many that it was like being on another planet and one so serene and beautiful.
This cruise exceeded my expectations! The service, the crew, the ship, and the overall experience was wonderful!